Jul 24, 2008

I'm not going to see these movies

1. Batman. The Dark Knight. I simply don't have the koiches (the strength). I don't have the strength for car chases and violence and explosions. These things bore me as much as an Eric Rohmer film.
And the shameless publicity with the departed Heath Ledger... no wonder my boyfriend (unbeknownst to him) Christian Bale was mean to his family in London. He's Batman and no one is paying any attention to him. Let me say this again: Heath Ledger was overrated when the poor thing was alive. Now they are talking about giving him an Oscar. I don't think dead actors should compete in the best acting category. Dead actors, like Leona Helmsley's dog, have no idea that they won. Or conversely, in the case of that stupid dog, that instead of 25 million dollars, now they only get to keep two.

2. Mamma Mía!. I love Abba (anybody got a problem with that?), but this movie sounds like an extended giant cringe. I prefer my Abba in the original version, mostly when drunk. I also think that musicals that are based on pop hits that were never intended to be narrative or part of a show should be banned. I still get nausea when I remember that I sat through the Billy Joel/Twyla Tharp extravaganza (please don't ask).

But I will see Man on Wire, a documentary about Phillipe Petit, the Frenchman who walked a tightrope between the twin towers. And I will see Boy A, which I know nothing about except that Peter Mullen is in it and we love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment