Dec 4, 2007

2007: A Year of So So Movies

Hello and welcome to the time of year dreamed of and dreaded by all.
Thinking back, the movies of 2007 were not Earth-shatteringly good. I can't think of one movie that blew my socks off. There were a lot of decent movies, but in my view, many of the super well reviewed movies are quite overhyped. I have not seen several worthy contenders, which I will add once I do, but in the meantime, here is my humble estimation of what didn't suck this year. For your consideration, you can link to my reviews.

Absolutely Lovely:

Secret Sunshine (from Korea). The best movie of the year, in my view.
Encounters at The End of The World (Werner Herzog's documentary about the South Pole)
Mafioso
The Host
Persepolis
Michael Clayton
Rescue Dawn
We Own the Night
Blades of Glory
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly


Absolutely Lovely Documentaries

No End in Sight
Don Rickles: Mr. Warmth
Toots
Deep Water


Honest to God Decent Movies:

Gone Baby Gone
3:10 To Yuma
Juno
The Darjeeling Limited
Knocked Up
Starting Out in The Evening
The Hoax
A Mighty Heart.
I saw this movie on a plane. Why do they have this movie on a plane?

Overrated but Good:

No Country for Old Men
The Savages
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Control
Superbad


Interesting Mishmashes:

Eastern Promises
La Vie en Rose
Across the Universe
Satantango


Pretentious and/or Truculent but not totally Unredeemable.

The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Richard Ford
Redacted
Silent Light


Ni Fu Ni Fa (neither here nor there)
Zodiac

I Refuse to See
Margot at The Wedding. I don't see what's so great about unadulterated nasty smarminess. And I detest J.J.L.
Lions for Lambs. It just sounds deadly.
Mr. Magorium Magic Emporium. Hate the name, hate the Portman.

No comments:

Post a Comment