Jan 12, 2015

The Golden Globes Are Gone


I'm gonna miss Amy and Tina so much. They were great last night. I loved their jokes, from their explanation of cake and birthdays to Hollywood, to Clooney's achievement award, to going after Bill Cosby, to "who would you rather"? I could play that game all night. There should be much more of them and less lengthy oversharing acceptance speeches, some of them craftily designed already to tug at Oscar voters' heartstrings.
Question: If a person of Korean descent, (Margaret Cho) spoofs a North Korean dictator, not because he is North Korean but because he is a clueless, overreacting asshole, why is this racist? I thought that it was funny that the character had valid opinions about movies. Are we to pretend that North Koreans don't have Korean names or look Korean? I need elucidation.
Fashion-wise, it was the year of women wearing either tablecloths, as my friend Katya says, or bathing suits. Naomi Watts and the flawless Lupita Nyongo were the best dressed for me.
Apparently, the HFPA, or as I like to call them, the HPV, has taken it upon itself to be the anti-Oscars by championing less safe stuff. Their awarding Boyhood is right. Boyhood is an original and beautifully realized film, an impressive achievement. It's less commercial, and less award-y than the usually awarded fare. I don't think that The Imitation Game nor The Theory Of Everything deserve to be in the category of best picture. They are too safe, and very award-y. They bring nothing but wonderful acting to the party. I really liked Foxcatcher, a nightmare of a film, and Birdman, but I think the only other serious contender for best film in this category is Selma.
Winners are in bold:

Best Motion Picture, drama
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything

For some reason, Mr. Turner, a fantastic movie, was snubbed even by the BAFTAS, which I think amounts to treason. It is better than the other two British biopics. Is there a Mike Leigh backlash going on that I don't know about? 

Best Motion Picture, musical or comedy
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Into the Woods
Pride
St. Vincent

The good thing about the Globes, as Michael Keaton pointed out, is that they recognize comedies. It's a tough choice between Birdman and TGBH, two strikingly original movies, but I am with the HPV on this one. Birdman is fun and exhilarating, but not very coherent, which is why I disagree with its win for best screenplay, a category which should have included Selma.
The Grand Budapest Hotel is not only about Europe, which may be close to the HPV's heart, but is also a lovely, subtle balancing act of humor and sadness.

Best Director, motion picture
Ava DuVernay, Selma
David Fincher, Gone Girl
Richard Linklater, Boyhood - No question. Everybody in this category has vision. His is vision squared.
Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Birdman
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Actress in a motion picture, drama
Jennifer Aniston, Cake
Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything - She was my favorite.
Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon, Wild - Should not be in this category. Marion Cotillard instead. 

Best Actor in a motion picture, drama
Jake Gyllenhall, Nightcrawler
Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
David Oyelowo, Selma - This is an incredible performance and I hope someone recognizes it.
Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything - Unimpeachable. Well deserved. It's my own fault that I get bored with the My Left Foot school of award giving. 

Best Actor in a motion picture, musical or comedy
Michael Keaton, Birdman - No one can argue with loving Keaton and wanting him back. He's great.
Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel - My favorite, in a funny, melancholy tour de force.
Bill Murray, St. Vincent
Joaquin Phoenix, Inherent Vice -
Christoph Waltz, Big Eyes - I thought he was strangely terrible in this. My nomination would have been the unsung Miles Teller in Whiplash. 

Best Actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy
Amy Adams, Big Eyes -   This category was no great shakes. Amy Adams is very good in this movie, but I do not think an acceptance speech is an opportunity for sharing intimate details about someone else's rented uterus. Or whatever that was.
Emily Blunt, Into the Woods
Quvenzhané Wallis, Annie
Helen Mirren, The Hundred-Foot Journey
Julianne Moore, Map to the Stars 

Best Foreign Language Film
Force Majeure (Sweden) - I love this movie.
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem (Israel)
Ida (Poland/Denmark) - I love this movie.
Leviathan (Russia) - Great movie and a provocative political choice, since it is a tough satire about corruption in Russia.
Tangerines Mandariinid (Estonia)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood -  A righteous win for a lovely, nuanced performance. And best speech of the night.
Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year
Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Emma Stone, Birdman
Meryl Streep, Into the Woods

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Robert Duvall, The Judge
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood

Edward Norton, Birdman - I loved his performance. I want to see him in everything.
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons, Whiplash - As expected and deserved. 

Best Animated Feature Film
Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2 -  
Can this choice be more boring?
The LEGO Movie

Will Boyhood be a foregone conclusion at the Oscars? Stay tuned. If you can stand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment