Oct 17, 2007

The Darjeeling Limited

I liked it more than I thought I would.
It is DROLL with a capital D, but at least Wes Anderson has his own style, and that's more that you can say about a lot of other people making movies these days (particularly formulaic indy movies and insufferable shit like mumblecore). Anderson milks the droll deadpan for everything it's got, but I found this movie to have a bit more substance than his last forays into whimsy.
Three brothers go on a spiritual journey in India that doesn't become spiritual because they will it to be, but because life happens to them. It's very sweet, sometimes arch; it elicits knowing smiles, but no more, and I'm sure it does not mean to be a laugh riot. The Wes Anderson quirky tone is firmly in place.
The music is the best thing in the movie. A winning combination of songs by the Kinks and the gorgeous music of the films of Sajyajit Ray, it really lifts it up. It's inspired.
It's rather touching to see Owen Wilson with his head covered in bandages deliver a better performance than that of his brothers Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman. And Angelica Huston is imposing and wonderful as their mom. I found the movie very enjoyable. It made me want to take the Darjeeling Limited, if indeed there is such a lovely train.

No comments:

Post a Comment