Dec 31, 2005

Yet Another List of Bests and Worsts of 2005

This is still work in progress because my neurons are so damaged from so much use (what did you think?) that I can't remember what movies I saw this year. I don't think it was that great a year, frankly, and that is why it's all a blur to me. But I couldn't wait one more day to post it.
Enjoy, agree; even better, disagree, and let me know if you do.

BEAUTIFUL:
The Forty-Year-Old Virgin: The best AMERICAN movie of the year.
Downfall: Probably the most terrifying film about the Nazis ever made. And there is not a Jew in sight.
The Beat My Heart Skipped: The great director Jacques Audiard (Read my Lips) takes a crappy American movie (Fingers, by that overgrown baby, James Toback) and remakes it into a class act. It's the revenge of the French, who must be tired of Americans taking their good films and turning them into instant crap.
Look at Me: A great, dark comedy from Agnes Jaoui
The Holy Girl: The second film from amazing Argentinian director Lucrecia Martel. The first, La Ciénaga, is even better.
Good Night and Good Luck: Clooney shows class.
King Kong: Long, spectacular and moving.
Caché: Another splash of frigid water from Michael Haneke

ALMOST GREAT:
A History of Violence
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
40 shades of Blue
The Best of Youth
Friday Night Lights
Munich

INTERESTING FAILURES:
Jarhead
Breakfast on Pluto
Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

WAY OVERRATED:
The Squid and the Whale
Crash

SO BAD I WANT MY MONEY BACK:
Syriana
My Summer of Love
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Match Point

DIDN'T BOTHER:
March of the Penguins
Harry Potter IV
The Producers
Wallace and Gromit
Anything with Jennifer Aniston
Aeon Flux
North Country
Cinderella Man

GREAT MALE ACTING
Bruno Ganz as Hitler in Downfall
Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line
Tommy Lee Jones in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Rip Torn in 40 Shades of Blue
Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote
Viggo Mortensen in A History of Violence
Peter Sarsgaard in Jarhead
Romain Durys in The Beat My Heart Skipped
George Clooney in Syriana
Paul Rudd in the 40 Year Old Virgin

GREAT FEMALE ACTING
Roberta Maxwell in Brokeback Mountain
Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain
Maria Bello in a History of Violence
Catherine Keener in Capote
Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line
Juliette Binoche in Caché

No comments:

Post a Comment